Intense fire destroys bar in historic Mass. building that was packed with patrons
0
Like Me

  Likes
21
Views

  Views
0

Shares

Intense fire destroys bar in historic Mass. building that was packed with patrons

An intense fire tore through a historic building in Templeton, Massachusetts, that housed a bar that was packed with patrons when the blaze started Wednesday night.When crews were called at 10 p.m. to the fire at the Otter River Hotel, smoke and flames were pouring out of the Main Street building, which dates back to 1882.The bar, known to locals at The Red Onion, was open and filled with patrons attending open mic night when the fire started. Luckily, everyone got out, and no one was injured. “The building is a historic building to the town of Templeton. It has been a bar for many many years here in town. It’s been here for over 100 years,” Templeton Fire Department Chief David Dickie said. According to the bar’s Facebook page, it was hosting a Songwriting Contest when the fire started.“This was a local institution. Everybody came to the Onion. Everyone,” patron James Buzzell said.Buzzell said he admired the work that the bar’s new owner did to renovate the business. “It was beautiful inside. It was all repainted, all redone. He had done so much work,” Buzzell said. “He just reopened. I was heartbroken just thinking about the loss he’s suffered,” Templeton resident Sally Erickson said. On Facebook, the business posted, “We battled back to keep this place alive because it was more than a bar. It was a meeting place for people of all kinds and for all reasons since 1880. That is worth fighting for and that is why there is so much love and history … This is not goodbye, it’s see you soon.””It’s heartbreaking, it truly is. I can’t wait to see (the owner) and give him a hug,” Templeton resident Gordon Davis said. “It was one of the last nicest places around here, and to see it so beautiful a few nights ago and to see it like this now, it’s pretty heartbreaking.”Firefighters from several towns battled the massive fire. The fire chief said the cause of the blaze appears to be accidental.

An intense fire tore through a historic building in Templeton, Massachusetts, that housed a bar that was packed with patrons when the blaze started Wednesday night.

When crews were called at 10 p.m. to the fire at the Otter River Hotel, smoke and flames were pouring out of the Main Street building, which dates back to 1882.

Advertisement

The bar, known to locals at The Red Onion, was open and filled with patrons attending open mic night when the fire started. Luckily, everyone got out, and no one was injured.

templeton fire

Fire departments from several communities responded to battle the 5-alarm blaze.

“The building is a historic building to the town of Templeton. It has been a bar for many many years here in town. It’s been here for over 100 years,” Templeton Fire Department Chief David Dickie said.

According to the bar’s Facebook page, it was hosting a Songwriting Contest when the fire started.

“This was a local institution. Everybody came to the Onion. Everyone,” patron James Buzzell said.

Buzzell said he admired the work that the bar’s new owner did to renovate the business.

“It was beautiful inside. It was all repainted, all redone. He had done so much work,” Buzzell said.

“He just reopened. I was heartbroken just thinking about the loss he’s suffered,” Templeton resident Sally Erickson said.

On Facebook, the business posted, “We battled back to keep this place alive because it was more than a bar. It was a meeting place for people of all kinds and for all reasons since 1880. That is worth fighting for and that is why there is so much love and history … This is not goodbye, it’s see you soon.”

“It’s heartbreaking, it truly is. I can’t wait to see (the owner) and give him a hug,” Templeton resident Gordon Davis said. “It was one of the last nicest places around here, and to see it so beautiful a few nights ago and to see it like this now, it’s pretty heartbreaking.”

Firefighters from several towns battled the massive fire.

The fire chief said the cause of the blaze appears to be accidental.

Source

About admin

Leave a Reply

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

WP Radio
WP Radio
OFFLINE LIVE